Friday, July 30, 2010

Seeing Red

Okay, so I've realized in my life that I am not the greatest with money, but I also not the worst. I'm getting better and by looking up my account online every few days I am able to keep myself in check because I realize how much money I do not have and then I don't spend any. Sounds simple enough, but trust me, I'm a little (maybe a lot) stupid sometimes.

But boy was I surprised to see a charge to my account for $26.16 from Redbox. The convenient little one-day movie rental kiosk. I had definitely not taken out that many movies at once and realized that someone had stolen my number and used it to rent movies! I felt sick and had to go to church feeling all sad for myself and my lost money.

I thought about it all through church and got hit in the face with realization - OH...MY...GOSH...Had I returned that last movie? Surely I had. I had about 4 hours between my classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and would often go down rent a movie and watch it in the library and then return it, buy myself some dinner and go back to school. This was so routine that I didn't know how I could have not done it. I tried desperately to think about the last movie I rented and what I had done during that day. Seeing how it was almost a month before it was really difficult, but I kept getting the sick feeling that I lingered on campus reading outside, by my favorite tree. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID.

When I came home, I was lost in the confusion of people being over and whatnot and momentarily forgot about the horror of my life. When it finally smacked me again I rushed to my room and in the only pocket I NEVER USE of my backpack (why are there sooo many pockets?) I felt the hard case of a movie I had never returned and paid greatly for. So now I own this movie and have the stupid Redbox case that will not look good with the rest of my movies. I wish that they would kindly send the real movie case to me seeing as how I paid for it and then some and I would most certainly return their dumb case.

Sometimes, I'm an idiot.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Peterson said...

Go and buy a movie case from wal-mart or someplace, they have empty ones you can buy. Then google a picture of the movies original movie case, print it off, and voila, a nice new, expensive, movie to fit in with the rest of your collection!

J. Frankenstein Lutes said...

Oh man. Poor Ashers.

Erin said...

They should give you the case! I used to watch movies while waiting for my classes...I also had a big break but alas no red box. The CSUF library did have some good movies to watch though! :)

ashleigh said...

I thought of doing exactly what you said Elizabeth, but I didn't know I could buy a case anywhere. That's genius. I shall investigate.

Emily said...

So Sorry! We have done that before! It was Land of the Lost...stupid movie that we watched maybe 15 minutes of and then couldnt watch the rest due to stupidity and it being nastily vulgar! Well it got forgotten and we had to pay like $15 or so. Not cool! At least you like this movie...yeah????

Grandma Bonnie said...

Not your favorite movie...right? So sad. Sounds like a trick I might pull.

Grandma Bonnie said...

Been there....done that. But only with library books. We own a lot of very expensive ones now!!!!

J. Frankenstein Lutes said...

Guess what? Everyone wants you to post something new. EVERYONE.